A laptop memory also know as RAM (Random-access memory) is a temporary data storage. It’s a volatile type of memory. When you turn off the laptop, all the information stored in a RAM module is lost.
More memory installed into your laptop gives you a better (faster) performance.
You can test laptop memory with a free diagnostic tool called Memtest86+.
A type of memory used in laptop computers called SO-DIMM (Small Outline Dual In-line Memory Module).
Here are three most common memory types found in laptop computers:
1. SDRAM SO-DIMM memory has 144pins.
PC100 modules running at 100MHz.
PC133 modules running at 133MHz.
PC133 modules are backward compatible with PC100 modules.If your laptop requires a PC100 memory module, you can safely use a PC133 module but it will run at PC100 speed.
2. DDR SO-DIMM memory has 200 pins.
PC2100 (DDR266) modules running at 266MHz.
PC2700 (DDR333) modules running at 333MHz.
PC2700 memory is backward compatible with PC2100 memory. If your laptop requires a PC2100 module, you can safely use a PC2700 module but it will run at PC2100 speed.
DDR memroy modules are not backward compatible with SDRAM modules.
3. DDR2 SO-DIMM memory has 200 pins.
PC2-3200 (DDR2-400) running at 200MHz.
PC2-4200 (DDR2-533) running at 266MHz.
PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) running at 333MHz.
PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) running at 400MHz.
Faster DDR2 memory modules are backward compatible with slower DDR2 memory modules. For example, if your laptop requires a PC2-4200 memory module you can safely use a PC2-5300 module but it will run at PC2-4200 speed.
DDR2 memory modules are not backward compatible with DDR modules. The notch on DDR2 is located in a different position from DDR.
WHERE MEMORY MODULES ARE LOCATED.
In a laptop computer memory slots could be found in a few different locations, it depends on the brand and model of the laptop.
1. Both memory slots can be accessed from the door on the bottom.
2. One slot is located on the bottom and another one under the keyboard.
3. Both memory slots are located under the keyboard.
4. There is only one memory slot available for upgrades. The main memory is integrated into the motherboard.
HOW TO REMOVE MEMORY MODULE FROM THE SLOT.
Release latches on both sides from the memory module with your fingers.
The memory module will pop up at a 20-30 degree angle.
Carefully pull the memory module from the slot by the edges.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE BUYING LAPTOP MEMORY.
1. You are looking for SO-DIMM memory used in laptop computers.
2. Type of the memory used in your laptop: SDRAM, DDR, or DDR2.
3. How many memory slot are available.
4. How much memory your laptop can handle.